Selenium is a beneficial mineral that helps keep us healthy boosting our immune system to combat illness and promote good health.
8 out of 10 of us are deficient: In the last 60 years selenium has been washed out of most soils and we are getting much lower amounts (about 20%) than our body needs. For people who exercise a lot there is an extra need for selenium because it increases the excretion of selenium, and endurance exercise increases the manufacture of harmful free radicals.
Health Benefits of Selenium:
- Heart disease: Selenium helps reduce heart disease and heart attacks. Many people who experience Anaemia have been found to be low in selenium.
- Infections: Selenium helps prevent viral and bacterial infections and selenium deficiency increases the risk of infections
- Bones and Joints:Selenium helps prevent and reduce Rheumatoid and Osteoarthritis
- Hair and Skin benefits: Optimum selenium reduces brittle hair. It improves the texture and health of skin and can counteract and improve some types of dermatitis and eczema, and helps reduce Dandruff.
- Nervous System: It improves our learning ability and our mood. People who suffer poor memory, anxiety and confusion are often low in selenium
- Eyesight: Selenium helps to prevent cataracts and helps to prevent age-related macular degeneration
Beware cheap Selenium Supplements: Many forms of selenium are ineffective, in fact some actually contribute to lowering the immune system. Only take the Foodstate form